BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, December 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Isaac!!


I'm a huge sucker for a walk down memory lane. What mom doesn't love to just pour all over her babies pictures. I thought some of you might enjoy joining me on my journey with Isaac from birth to 5.

Here he is a few days old. I stuffed him in a stocking for pictures, one of the few benefits of having a new born at Christmas. Another benefit was how much I really identified with the true meaning of Christmas. As I held my newborn son in my arms, gazing at him with motherly love in all his baby perfection, I thought often of Mary holding baby Jesus. I thought of how faithful she must have been to have been so obedient to God's calling for her to be the mother of the Christ child. I also thought of God a lot at that time. I was overcome with His love for us, that he was willing to send His Son to earth, to die for us. He knew this was the only way we could be saved, yet he was willing to do it. Willing to sacrifice his son. I can't pretend to know the mind of God but I know it took more love than I can comprehend to do what He did. There is a song by Chris Rice called Welcome to our World and it's my favorite Christmas song. I can almost never listen to it (or sing it as was evident in Church this week) without crying, sobbing really. When I get to this part

Fragile finger sent to heal us

Tender brow prepared for thorn

Tiny heart whose blood will save us

I cry every time as I think of the days before Christmas that I held my beautiful baby...again, I just can't comprehend the love God has for us. Maybe it doesn't make sense to anyone else but either way you just can't help but look at this baby, who was truly a miracle to me, and think "God is so good."
After much debate (in my crazy postpartum mind) we did finally decide to take our precious cargo (and a lot of hand sanitizer) out on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, despite the worst flu epidemic in years. He looked so dapper in his little velour tux sleeper.



How fast a year goes by!!!! Here he is walking, less than a year later. I hate to say but I barely remember him at that age. I got pregnant with Ian when Isaac was only 6 months old so it was like a whirlwind in many ways. Pictures spark my memories of his little giggle and adorable smile...his bounds of energy...and how he emptied my cupboards everyday...and dumped out everything in sight... In retrospect, maybe I blocked those days out of my memory on purpose, knowing I would be doing it again with Ian in no time lol.




Fast forward to 2005 and he was already turning two! He had already been a big brother for 8 months. He was such a big boy by then! Very independent and a good helper. He was created to be a middle child I think. Here he is blowing out his candles. He had insisted on a monkey party. His favorite stuffed animal was a monkey (still is) and it was very appropriate since he himself was such a little monkey most of the time (still is).



By the time Isaac turned 3, his new obsession was with trucks and tractors, basically anything with wheels. John Deere in particular. He was so excited with his presents that year! Ra-ra and Pa-pa got him his first big boy bike!


Last year when he turned 4 I remember being a little concerned that he wasn't much into "school". He could barely identify all of his letters and knew very few sounds. I knew I couldn't compare him to Bella because all kids are different but I was actually getting a little worried. I bought him the Letter Factory DVD for his birthday hoping to nudge him along. Ironically it seemed to be a catapult for him! He began practically devouring letters. Everywhere we went he started calling out the letters he saw and their sounds. He just took off and hasn't slowed down since! I never thought last year on his birthday that he would be sailing through Kindergarten and already reading before he turned 5. I'm such a proud mommy, can you tell...so humble I know lol.


Isaac got his first light saber last year for his birthday...Here he is staring me down with his Jedi powers.


And here he is today, five years old. He's such a big boy. He requested a striped bass cake this year. He was very specific. Not something cute, he wanted a real bass like the ones he catches with his Papa. He told me to make a big cake and do a big bass on it...I did my best. He was pleased and that is what counts. That small teeth grin will be disappearing in no time...










7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Isaac! May it be all that you've wished for it to be!
Mallory

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great birthday Isaac! You are such a handsome guy! 5 years old already! Keep up the good work in school!
Love,
The Nelsons

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Isaac! I hope it's been a FUN day!

Your cake turned out perfect. You should be pleased as well.

Love,
Kira

Anonymous said...

What a big boy Isaac is now!! I am so proud to be his auntie, and even more proud to be a sister to such an amazing person :) The cake came out awesome!!! you really are a cake artist..I've started brain storming what I want this year for my birthday, think you could manage a beach?

Love, Kimmy

Conepines said...

lol you truly are a cake artist.... if i had a child who asked for a striped bass cake i'd probably just smush a gummy shark on a cupcake and call it a day.
"Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?
Or if he asks for fish, will he give him a serpent?"
or if he asks for a striped bass cake, will she smush a gummy shark on a cupcake and call it a day?

whooo...i need to go to school. its really early. hahaha i liked the cake and the pictures of isaac are so cute!! tell him i said happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Isaac!!

Anonymous said...

5 years young and such a little man already. NICE cake dude Hope you get everything you want for your birthday. Can't wait to see ya.
PA PA